The highly anticipated video game Cyberpunk 2077 made waves upon its release for its mature themes and content. Before rushing to buy this controversially adult-oriented RPG for your kids, it’s important to understand exactly what it entails. This Cyberpunk 2077 parents’ guide examines what type of gameplay, imagery and messages are present in Night City to help parents make informed decisions about age appropriateness. We’ll also provide constructive tips on how to have meaningful conversations if your child asks to play Cyberpunk 2077 despite its 17+ rating.
Overview of Cyberpunk 2077
Let’s start this Cyberpunk parents’ guide by giving you an overview of what the game has to offer players. Cyberpunk 2077 is a mature-rated action role-playing game set in a fictional, dark vision of the future. The game takes place predominantly in Night City, an eclectic yet gritty metropolis obsessed with power, glamour and body augmentation.
You play as V, a mercenary outlaw equipped with cybernetic enhancements who takes on dangerous jobs. Gameplay involves exploring the city, completing missions, interacting with characters, and customizing your abilities and equipment.
This game deals with complex, adult themes about the impacts of advanced technology on humanity. It features graphic violence, criminal elements, coarse language, and sexual content. The open world allows extensive creative freedom, including activities like substance use or nudity.
Cyberpunk 2077 Rating Age
Cyberpunk 2077 has a Mature 17+ age rating from the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB). Specifically, the ESRB gave Cyberpunk 2077 an “M” for Mature based on the following content descriptors:
- Blood and Gore
- Intense Violence
- Strong Language
- Strong Sexual Content
- Use of Drugs and Alcohol
A part of the ESRB’s rating summary states: “…Characters use handguns, machine guns, rifles, and explosives during frenetic firefights with humans and cybernetically enhanced enemies; players can also use melee weapons (e.g., wrist-mounted blades, enhanced limbs) to stab enemies and, in some cases, dismember them. Combat is frenetic, with frequent gunfire, cries of pain, explosions, and blood-splatter effects. Some locations depict mutilated corpses with open chest cavities and/or exposed organs/entrails. During one quest, players assist a character by hammering nails through his hands and feet; screaming sounds and blood effects accompany the scene. The game contains nudity and sexual material: Players can select a gender and customize their character; customization can include depictions of breasts, buttocks, and genitalia, as well as various sizes and combinations of genitals. Players can encounter events where they have the option to engage in sexual activities with other main characters or prostitutes—these brief sex scenes (from a first-person perspective) depict partially nude characters…”
How to React if Your Child Wants to Play Cyberpunk 2077
Here are some tips for parents if their child asks to play Cyberpunk 2077:
- Remain calm and have an open conversation. Don’t dismiss or react negatively right away. Hear why your child is interested and discuss thoughtfully.
- Reinforce the age rating. Explain that the M for Mature 17+ rating reflects very adult themes and content that can be inappropriate for those under 17. Discuss specific concerns like violence, sex, drugs, etc.
- If allowing play, set clear limitations. Establish rules, time limits, approved game content, no solo play, etc. Monitor regularly to ensure compliance.
- Offer alternative game suggestions that are more age appropriate and align with your family values. Praise maturity when your child agrees those are better options now.
- Stick to your final decision. If you deny play, reinforce why and avoid comparisons with what other parents allow. If permissions are abused, enforce reasonable consequences.
- Keep talking. Maintain open, non-judgmental conversations about game content, your child’s thoughts on mature issues, and setting media usage standards. Discuss balanced gaming habits.
How Safes Can Help
Safes is a third-party parental control app equipped to help you keep your child safe in the digital realm. Some of its features include:
- Limit screen time: Safes can limit your child’s screen time on their device. You can choose a time limit for Cyberpunk 2077 on your child’s device.
- Set a smart schedule: Safes allows you to make a schedule for your child’s use of apps on their device.
- Filter keywords: Safes allows you to filter inappropriate keywords from your child’s web searches and get notified if they do search them.
- Block apps: You can instantly block your child’s apps at the press of a button using Safes.
Safes can help you block your child from playing Cyberpunk 2077 on their PC. In case they’re using a gaming console, check out our guides on parental controls on PS4, PS5, and Xbox. Safes is also available on iOS and Android.
Cyberpunk 2077 requires discernment about allowing access given its graphic violence, sexual content and cynical themes. While gaming can have benefits, titles with explicit material often necessitate limitation and oversight for young audiences. Have candid discussions about your family’s values. Equip children to make wise media choices for themselves and guide them towards alternative games better suited for their age. Open communication and teamwork with your kids, not power struggles, will help navigate appropriate entertainment.